It has always been a phenomenon that, the best way to maintain a healthy teeth or improve your dental health is to adopt the habit of brushing twice a day.
Well, brushing your teeth once a day might not be as bad as it sounds so far as you do it properly.
Though many people have adopted the habit of brushing their teeth twice a day, they are still not better brushers if they don’t do it properly.
One can be a better brusher or maintain a healthy teeth, by following these guidelines.
According to specialists in dental care, these are the most effective and efficient ways of brushing teeth.
1. Try as much as possible to get yourself an electric toothbrush.why? Electric toothbrushes are infinitely better at removing the “sticky ” plague from your teeth. Plague cannot be simply revomed with a hand-brush.
2. Look out for “flouride” which is the active ingredient in toothpaste when buy a toothpaste.But be sure to check that your toothpaste includes the recommended adult dosage, which is 1400PPM( parts per million). Also if you are at a higher risk of tooth decay consider a toothpaste with higher dosage. Other ingredients to look out for includes triclosan and calcium phosphate.
3. You should not forget to brush these parts of the mouth: the outside surface of your teeth, the inside surface and the bitting surface of your teeth and most importantly the surfaces between your teeth. The surfaces between your teeth is where the majority of tooth decay takes place and where gum disease starts, so it is very essential to clean the surfaces between your teeth every day.
4.Never rinse after brushing. Surprised? Well, this is the reason, the most active ingredient in toothpaste fluoride, which works by strengthening the outer surface of your teeth and making them more resistant to acids. Why then would you want to rinse that away a few moments after brushing?. It is okay to spit out the excess toothpaste and foam in your mouth after brushing but please DO NOT RINSE.
5. Do not cultivate the habit of using mouthwash. Most mouthwashes contains lower levels of fluoride than most toothpastes. This means that by rinsing with mouthwash immediately after brushing, people are actually increasing the chances that they will suffer from tooth decay.
6. The best and worst times of the day to brush. The most important time to clean your teeth is just before you go to sleep. While you are asleep, you have lower levels of protective saliva in your mouth and if sticky plaque is left on your teeth for extended periods then more of your teeth will suffer the effects of tooth decay.
AND the worst time to brush your teeth is immediately after drinking or eating anything acidic, examples: fruit juices, smoothies, vinigars, fizzy sodas or wine. So instead of brushing immediately after acidic attacks, it’s advisable to take something that will help neutralise the acidity, examples are glass of water, milk, cheese or chewing a sugar- free gum.
Thanks for reading, I hope you’ve learnt something.
source :The Telegraph